You know, I love animations; be it full-length features, anime, cartoons or whatever. Some people associate that with childish; but of course that is an antiquated mind! Animation is another part of movie-making and it is interesting because imaginations run wild and producers/directors in animated features can push the envelope to the limits because nothing is impossible to be translated into visions whenever you use animation as the platform.
I also love animations because it is a valve that make me forever young. I don’t know, the carefree spirit and the childlike fantasy keep me young at heart. Somehow, I can confess that it has the aura to rejuvenate my spirit. Hhahahaa, I never actually tell a lot of people about this (except probably to my sister when we went to Disneyland) that when I was a child, I HAD this childish ambition of working with Disneyland/Disney Animation! Hahhaa! I remembered that I would save my pocket money during schooling days just to buy the Disney soundtracks cassettes! Hahhaa, OMG, right? Funny. But I had to thank Disney especially the beautiful songs and music orchestrated in the films – they really helped me to improve my English and learning new words, such as :-
- “Satyr”; “Cliche”; “Distance”; “Ran amok”; “Uncouth” – from Hercules soundtrack (1997)
- “Bobcat”; “Sycamore”; Riverbend”; “Copper skin” – from Pocahontas soundtrack (1995)
- “Sanctuary”; “Outcasts”; “Popinjay”; “Parapets”; a few Latin words like Mea Culpa, Beatae Maria – from The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (1996)
- “Fathom”; “Reprimand” – from The Little Mermaid soundtrack (1989) – I bought it circa 1997
- “Provincial town” – from Beauty & The Beast soundtrack (1991) – I bought it circa 1997
- “Red-letter moment”; “Indescribable” – from Aladdin soundtrack (1993) – I bought it circa 1997
- “Sapphire”; “Quid Pro Quo” – from The Lion King soundtrack (1994) – I bought it circa 1995
– and many more! To sum up, animations have pivotal role in my life, especially in bridging me out from the cocoon of Middle Class confinement.
Apart from all the Western and Japanese animations, Malaysia also has our own products. For example, the animated feature films produced so far :-
- “Silat Lagenda” which loosely tells story about legendary 5 Malay Warriors;
- “Cheritera” – ensemble of Malaysian folklore (too bad I haven’t have the chance to see this! I heard there was a story about “The Sun King & Moon Princess” (voiced by Vanidah Imran); I only knew it from the newspaper I read circa the year 2000. Anyone knows where I can find this movie???);
- “Putih” – loose story about Bawang Putih & Bawang Merah. Great film with star studded casts and beautiful songs but lack movement of animation. Still, proud of this one produced by Fine Animation!
Too bad. These are the only two images I could get about the Malaysian second animated feature “Cheritera”. So curious about it. Anyone knows where can I find the film? Sigh.
Putih, the third Malaysian animated feature. A film that can be proud of! Erra Fazira as the titular character.
Anyway, I am all excited to list down the upcoming/new animated feature films that soon to hit theaters! Some are of Disney’s, Dreamworks’, while others are from various independent films (not to forget Hayao Miyazaki’s films! Love “Princess Mononoke” & “Howl’s Moving Castle” & “Spirited Away”!!).
The first one will be “Epic”, produced by Blue Sky Studios and distribute by 20th Century Fox. It’s about humans helping the pixies and fairies of the forests and the star studded ensemble casts are Amanda Seyfried (Yeay!), Beyonce (Yeay!), Colin Farrell, Steven Tyler, Aziz Ansari and many more! Slated for May 24, 2013!
“Arjun, The Warrior Prince”! The trailer seemed so beautiful, I love the colours and animations!
Next, is “Arjun, The Warrior Prince” produced by UTVMotion Picture and distributed by Disney Pictures. This film is produced in 2012 but I have yet to see it. Saw the trailer in You-Tube and was mesmerized. It reminded me of “Ramayana : Prince Of Light”; only was that the latter was more of Japanese-anime-kinda-drawings. Still, hopeful to watch it! I love cultural histories. Fascinating!
A few teaser art pieces released from the upcoming “Frozen” by Disney! OMG! Hahaha!
Finally, I am looking forward for the latest of Disney’s feature “Frozen” which is loosely based on “The Ice Queen” fable. This one depicts on on how diversified sisterly bond between good and evil. I always love “Ice Queen”! Really can’t wait! This will be in 3D animation ala “Tangled”. These days, 2D animated features are not as hot as those yesteryears. Perhaps after the lukewarm reception of “Princess & The Frog”. Sigh….. I prefer 2D animation, to be honest!
Holli Would, the femme fatale in “Cool World” ala Jessica Rabbit; trying to romance Brad Pitt? Is this anime for kids? Think again. Oucch!
Of course, I wouldn’t touch the contents on “adult animations” that are popularized by American animator Ralph Bakshi via his films such “Fire & Ice” or “Cool World” (an animated character having sex with human actor? Hahaha!) or the Japanese “Hentai”. I wouldn’t want to goaded people into bad intentions nor I encourage that. Navigate/browse on YOUR OWN damages. Hahaha!
An adult-oriented animation by Ralph Bakshi in 1983 “Fire & Ice”. Is this for kids? Think again. Ouch! (,”)
Can’t wait for the films y’all! A rejuvenation secret recipe, indeed. (,”)