In a few hours of Malaysian time, clock will strike midnight leaving 2014 as mere nostalgia; with new dawn of 2015 approaches. Looking back, 2014 has been a year of challenges for myself as well as my beloved nation, Malaysia. We weather the murky water and we brave the uncharted territories. 2014 proves to be lethal but at the same time it teaches me on how to cope with reality fatalities.
Based on my 2014 resolution entry as per 1st of January 2014 via https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/a-moon-in-the-twilight-the-year-2014-health-wealth-stealth-to-dismantle-the-comfort-chrysalis/, I have set my goals on two main things which are, Alhamdulillah; I have managed to accomplish :-
- To perform Umrah at Makkah (Done; as per https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/the-bride-of-the-red-sea-episode-xvi-the-2014-umrah-part-i-1st-pilgrimage-with-qarnul-manazil-as-miqat-makkah-al-mukarramah/) ; and
- To do Master’s Degree in Mass Communication (Done; I picked UPM to do Master’s Degree in Corporate Communications as per https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/master-of-mass-communication-episode-3-the-choice-master-of-corporate-communication-mccomm-universiti-putra-malaysia-a-k-a-upm/.
Resolution 1 : Performed Umrah at Makkah – CHECKED!
Resolution 2 : To start doing Master’s Degree in Corporate Communications – CHECKED!
I felt honoured that I was chosen to visit The House of ALLAH on my 30th birthday which was 1st of June; and I am also happy that I finally can do what I want which is to study Social Science (I really feel this field is my calling; it is what I aspire to do and to dedicate my life as a researcher, Insya ALLAH); away from my Science (Microbiology Degree) background!
1st experience of Outdoor Challenge for health – CHECKED!
2014 also witnessed a few new experiences and my attempt to push my envelope :-
- I’ve got to serve as Head of Science Panel in my school which really unveils me on new scale of documentation shenanigans burdened onto the shoulders of Malaysian school teachers, learning protocols and black-and-white Do’s and Don’ts, and to handle peers’ pressures, etc;
- I managed to join my first Outdoor Challenge which was “Perak International Mount Bujang Melaka 2014” at Kampar (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/an-amateur-runner-the-perak-international-mount-bujang-melaka-challenge-2014-the-harmony-society-of-kampar-perak/) and I’ve completed 14 KM back and fro which was a far cry from other professional runner but for me, that was a HUGE RECORD!;
- Travelling abroad ALONE to United Kingdom (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/12/23/winter-united-kingdom-part-1-the-london-roaming-around-the-angry-caucasian-neighbour-camden-town/) which was a scary thing for me to do as before this, I’ve always travelled with entourage. Although Kakak waited for me at Heathrow Airport, London all the way from Leeds; but I am proud with myself for travelling alone from Malaysia to United Kingdom. Perhaps in the next years, I will try to do my own full solo trip? Insya ALLAH ;
- Experience snow falling naturally at United Kingdom! Although it was merely the flurry of frost; but for a tropical Asian, it was a whole new experience! Haha! REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/12/27/winter-united-kingdom-part-5-the-virgin-snowflakes-fall-experience-leeds/.
- To visit Harry Potter outlet! Initially the plan was to visit Warner Bros Studio Tour in London but no luck as it was Christmas and tickets were sold out. I was devastated but when I encountered the Platform 9 3/4 outlet in King’s Cross, I was more than satisfied! That was a good substitute for my Harry Potter dream! At least I’ve got to buy the wands, aite? (REFER at https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/12/23/winter-unid-kingdom-part-2-harry-potters-platform-9-34-kings-cross-the-stamford-bridge-stadium-of-chelsea-f-c/)
1st snow falling experience – CHECKED!
Crystallizing Harry Potter dreams at London King’s Cross – CHECKED!
With the MH370, MH17 and QZ8501 flights fiasco, as well as the recent flash flood in the East Coast and some parts of West Coast, Malaysia is having tough year in 2014. I have my own term of sadness to deal with, this year :-
- 2 of my cats; Muezza & Sagwa died (either poisoned or naturally dead, nobody knows) – https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/the-dark-kitty-death-september-11th-muezza-poisoned/ & https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/09/08/au-revoir-mon-chat-goodbye-my-cat-the-sudden-death-of-sagwa/ ;
- Death of my kind Uncle, Pak Su ‘Id due to an accident (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/09/02/la-douleur-exquise-the-heart-wrenching-night-the-death-of-allahyarham-pak-su-id-shuib-ismail/);
- Death of my respected Master’s Degree coursemate/sister figure; the late Kak Ti due to dengue fever shock (https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/12/18/r-i-p-inalillah-an-ode-of-demise-for-the-late-noraiyati-omar-my-upm-masters-degree-in-corporate-communications-sister/) ;
- Mak experiencing dengue fever now and is warded at Hospital Kuala Kubu Bharu & Ayah’s finger which was bitten ferociously by Crookshanks has notoriously becoming a gangrene-like perhaps due to his diabetes – I just knew this today when I landed safely from London!!! So shocked in the midst of this jet-lag! Sigh. I pray they will be alright. So sad)
Death is inevitable. Plays major role in 2014.
On whole, 2014 is indeed a double-edged sword. A year of greenhorn adventures that are both beautiful and lethal. I have no choice but to be strong and put brave face ahead. Well, like what Angie said :-
“Without pain, there would be no suffering, without suffering we would never learn from our mistakes. To make it right, pain and suffering is the key to all windows, without it, there is no way of life.”
I wanna be strong and cool like her. I can emulate her bravery in this life. I’ve got to.