I was shaken and stupefied when I finally knew the result of the last subject, “Advanced Public Relations”. I can’t believe but I knew I have already did my best shot and gave my all throughout this 2nd semester albeit I had to juggle between workload and the Master’s Degree assignments. I have scored 4.00 a.k.a 4 FLAT for this semester!!!!!!! All thanks to Mak’s endless prayers to shelter and shed Barakah (blesses) throughout my 2nd semester. Thanks, Mak!
Looking at those As on the SGS UPM Portal website makes me feel that all the hardworks, going-back-and-forth from Serendah to UPM throughout September-January 2014 were definitely WORTHY! For the 2nd semester, I have taken 4 subjects :-
- “Statistics For Communication Research” – taught by Assoc. Prof Dr. Jusang Bolong;
- “Integrated Marketing Communication” – taught by Dr. Hamisah Zahrah Hasan;
- “Public Speaking for Professionals” – taught by Assoc. Prof Dr. Abdul Mua’ti a.k.a The Dean of the Faculty; and
- “Advanced Public Relations” – taught by Dr. Nurul Ain Muhamad Hasan.
A brief flashback on the entry I wrote at the beginning of the semester (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/09/14/why-do-i-choose-masters-of-corporate-communications-a-microbiology-degree-holder-a-banker-a-teacher-the-barenaked-confessions/); I was a bit full of enthusiasm but at the same time intimidated as I had to take the compulsory Statistics! I had a long bitter history with Mathematics and although I am a Microbiology degree holder, I hate numbers; hence I merely scored “C” for my Biostatistics.
But now as I am doing my Master’s Degree, I felt that my understanding is much better although actually what I am learning in the Master’s Degree are just the foundation that I have already learned during my Degree years! But perhaps when I was young, I took things for granted and I didn’t strive hard because I didn’t pay with my own money at that time and kept dilly-dallying on things I had no passion about – when actually I had the potential and I could do it if I were to really worked my ass off. But then again, life is full of lessons. I have learned mine. I have discovered that as someone with Science background, numbers are not my enemy afterall. Yeah, perhaps we used to be like colloid, aggregated substance set apart from the liquefied surrounding; but now, I can feel the affinity is very much stronger; like a Covalent bond. Whoooops! Haha!
During “NIKE’s Dilemma : The Tiger Woods’ Sex Scandal” presentation.
And then, there was the “Integrated Marketing Communication” (IMC) which delves into my passion on branding, logo, taglines, promotion, sweepstakes, contests – and their affiliations with the pop-culture with the aim to assuage the hearts of the possible buyers! But I had to say that I was feeling intimidated with the Mid Term test (it was hard! Haha!) and also the “NIKE’s Dilemma : The Tiger Woods’ Sex Scandal” (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/11/29/integrated-marketing-communication-kom-5325-presentation-nikes-dilemma-the-tiger-woods-sex-scandal/) of which we were to present it in front of two external panelists with vast knowledge on IMC as they are the industry players! I was lucky to have great team members and we took time to rehearse and to do any technical check-up prior to the presentation because any technical glitches during presentation will cause deduction of marks – an indicator that the team did not bother to do any preparation prior to the presentation; hence lack of professionalism. We came in as the underdog team as opposed to the other teams but we just rolled the ball. In addition to that, I had to do my Final Exam separately from my other coursemates because during the slotted Final Exam, I was in United Kingdom visiting Kakak; and on Dr. Hamisah’s courtesy (Thanks Dr!), I took the Final Exam on the 5th January along with 2 of my coursemates as well as a class of degree holders. I was lucky because originally, school season was scheduled to recommence on the 5th January but put on halt due to the flood fiasco. Alhamdulillah!
Next, “Public Speaking for Professionals” helm by our own Dean as well as one of the Rhetoric Communication expert in Malaysia, Assoc. Prof Dr. Abdul Muati was my most enjoyable class ever! Who doesn’t? With his casual wits, he was able to attract the students effortlessly. I admire his spontaneity and everyone looks up on him and like his classes! Even Kakak who did her Bachelor of Communication in UPM vouched that! Nonetheless, although with his easy-going approach in the class, Dr. Muati is notorious with reputation of being very strict when it comes to marking and grading! So, I already set my mind that I am going to do my best shot in his class. I am not going to be coy or intimidated. I am going to siphon out whatever I had to nail the subject! The assignments were :-
- “Informative Speech” where students were given topics on Ethos, Logos & Pathos (3 pillars of Rhetoric Communication) and a rubric to be scrutinized and followed. I had decided to present the topic “Similarity As One Ways to Measure Ethos” on 17th October 2014 (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/10/17/i-have-a-dream-kom-5210-public-speaking-for-professionals-informative-speech-of-similarity-as-one-way-to-measure-ethos/) and Alhamdulillah; managed to get 29/30 ! ;
- “Persuasive Speech” where students were given freedom to choose whatever topics suit their hearts as long as the topic has potential to motivate or to evoke sense of persuasion to the audiences. I already knew that I wanted to tell about myself; the struggle I faced as an omega/androgynous/effeminate male. So, I presented my speech “Believe in Yourself” dated 20th November 2014 (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/11/20/honesty-stripped-naked-no-hold-barred-kom-5210-persuasive-speech-believe-in-yourself/); although I hardly had any voice due to bad cough and Tonsilitis; I stubbornly opened my speech with a song and just did it. I already predicted that my health stunted my aura a bit but I was grateful to nail 28/30 ;
My Informative Speech with “Similarities As One Ways to Measure Ethos.”
My Persuasive Speech presentation with “Believe in Yourself”.
And then the written Final Exam which I found so difficult. Imagine that we had to explain on the scientific/physiological factors that affect nervousness? And that involved the formation of glycogen, the adrenal glands in the kidneys producing adrenaline, the acceleration of heart-pumping, the by products of excessive energy formation which relates to uncontrollable nerve-wrecking situation, etc! For once, I felt a Deja Vu; back to the Biology world! Haha! Alhamdulillah; I think Dr. Muati was being kind to all of us. But certainly feel privilege to have that kind of recognition by a national renowned communication elitist like him, no?
The Cover Photo that I created to ignite/launch the campaign.
The last subject “Advanced Public Relations” (PR) is also a subject that I endear very much. I felt like it is closely connected to “Integrated Marketing Communication” (IMC) – well, after all, PR is one of the tools consisted within IMC, aite? I was quite vocal in the class participating the discussions and we had 2 assignments :-
- Small Project – presenting a topic given. My group was given the topic on “Lobbying” and we did role-play which I played as a conniving Datuk whereas my other teammates were playing the lobbyists. While staging the role-playing, we explained about the concept and the practices. I have learned a lot from this and I never knew that lobbying was actually a LEGAL practice in Western countries & stipulated in written acts – because in Malaysia, although lobbying is permitted, the practice is often affiliated with NEGATIVE connotation ;
- Big Project – Conducting a Social Online Campaign that can reach people with ‘LIKES’ as one of the indicators that the campaign was a success in reaching wide spectrum of audiences. My group had decided to tackle on the English Proficiency. While I was driving, I had this revelation of naming the project as “The Kaya Bread Project” with metaphorical explanation that “Kaya” represents our local bread spread (Malaysian identity) whereas “Bread” the English diet represents the English Language (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/10/26/the-launching-of-my-advanced-public-relations-kom-5321-project-the-kaya-bread-project-hashtag-thekayabreadproject/). By mixing together, English-speaking Malaysians with unscathed inner patriotism are created. I initiated the FB page at https://www.facebook.com/thekayabreadproject. I was very eager in promoting it via my FB page and tagged a few local celebrities including Dr. Ain’s cousin, Siti Saleha (Haha!) in Twitter. I produced daily new vocabulary as well as the Strategic Plan whereas my other teammates topped up with various English information. It was meant to be continuously done but after the demise of beloved late Kak Ti, I lost my ‘Kiasu-ness’ and I didn’t bother about it anymore. But that was after the presentation took place (I was in United Kingdom at that time). It was alright; I had done a lot for the project and so happened that I couldn’t make it to the final presentation. But I knew that my team members could nail it because we had provided a recorded presentation ala ‘talk-show’ for my part and late KakTi.
The late Kak Ti. Your presence will always be remembered throughout my Master’s Degree. Amin. Inalillah.
Alhamdulillah, I am very happy. Seemed like all the hardworks paid off. But I am also immersed with overwhelming melancholy thinking about the late KakTi. She was the one we always relied on as a sister figure. I always competed with her, trying to outdo her and vice versa. Receiving the demise news at United Kingdom (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/12/18/r-i-p-inalillah-an-ode-of-demise-for-the-late-noraiyati-omar-my-upm-masters-degree-in-corporate-communications-sister/) was such a helpless state. I am happy with my result but I also missed your endless Kiasu-ness. I remembered that during our 1st semester result (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/1st-semester-finl-result-2-as-1-a-pngk-3-917/), you were the ‘busy bee’ asking around people’s PNGK as yours was the 4 Flat; mine was 3.917 as I scored A- for my “Communication Research Methods.” I told you that I would beat you in the 2nd semester……..
Alhamdulillah. 2nd Semester is First Semester 2014/2014. Alhamdulillah. Thanks to all my wonderful lecturers for the knowledge imparted.
Inalillah. This is a memory for me and you, Allahyarham Kakti. Al-Fatihah.