Finally, another assignment project is done! Alhamdulillah! Despite the dramas and the chaotic hullabaloos that happened behind the curtain, my group namely Avant Garde Inc. as the advertising agency successfully presented our proposed advertising campaigns; and our lecturer was satisfied with the outcome we presented! It meant a lot to us, especially since the commotion behind-the-scene was intense and fiery; almost jeopardizing the outcome.
Sha, Farah & Lynn – we are the remaining of Avant Garde Inc; but we rose back from the ashes, like phoenix!
For the subject “Principles of Advertising”, our lecturer assigned us with 3 assignments :-
- Individual assignment (1) : Choose an advertisement and discuss your interpretation and why you like the advertisement in class (I already did that when I chose Beyonce’s “Pepsi Max” advertisement entitled “Mirror”. REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2015/04/03/beyonce-a-grown-wman-in-pepsi-max-life-for-now-advertisement-campaign-the-academic-discussions-principles-of-advertising-kom-5323/);
- Individual assignment (2) : 5 journals on issues in advertisement, to be perused and analyzed as well as a presentation (I already did that when I chose issues in celebrities endorsement. REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/kom-5323-principles-of-advertising-2nd-presentation-the-wrath-of-vampire-effect-the-effect-charms-of-canto-pop-idols-issues-of-celebrity-endorsement-in-advertisement/); and
- Group Project assignment : each group is to choose a product (whether it is a new product or an established name) and assuming the group as an advertising agency being hired by a company to promote the product, each group would have to come out with proposals consisting of a research paperwork, advertisements medium chosen (billboard, magazines, brochures, etc), radio promotion (we have to do the Mp3 audio promotion ala radio!), the video promotion (30 second- 1 minute clip), story board of the advertisement, etc – to support the promotional mix tools of our product.
The storyboard for our advertisement clip. Honestly as someone from Microbiology background and a noob in gadgets or graphic designing, I don’t know any of these. But I am picking up what my coursemates are doing and this is a learning process for me. Kudos to Farah & Sha for the wonderful efforts!
From our first discussion, I suggested we named our advertising agency as Avant Garde and my coursemates agreed on that. We then had few discussions and meet-ups for the project albeit our hectic schedules. In the end, we decided to use the idea on promoting dry shampoo as Malaysians hardly use it and it would be nice to use it in our campaign. The problem would be that since it is a new product and the market would not be familiarize with dry shampoo, our promotional mix tools must be vigorous as the brand is not established yet and the campaign must consist of various “public attention-getters” elements.
This is me presenting the Segmentation, Targeting & Positioning part for Cleanse. Hahaha, I am such a photo whore! Haha! It is all for my blog. Hahhaa, my personal reminiscence.
Based from our discussion, we chose to name our dry shampoo as “Cleanse” which is catered to urban female professionals. By using the typical marketing strategy of STP (segmentation, targeting and positioning) as well as the SMART technique by Doran (used to analyze targeting of a product. Try Google! Very good technique applied by most big companies!) of the product, we managed to come out with focus group of our market. For Segmentation, we branched out our fraction of market into several parts:-
- Demographics : female, age 26-45 years, high-educated, white-collared professional;
- Psychographics : strong affinity towards luxury brands;
- Lifestyle : does not mind splurge money to buy luxury brands;
- Beliefs & values : independent lifestyles;
- Life stages : age 26-45; young, energetic and dynamic phase of life;
- Geography : urban places – KL, Georgetown (Penang), JB (Johore), and all states capitals;
- Behaviour : prefer modern distribution channels such as magazines (CLEO, etc);
- Benefit : suitable the fast-paced life of urban female professionals.
For Targeting via SMART technique, we converged our Segmentation into a smaller focus :-
The Targeting Market for Cleanse
|M||Measurable||Our targeting can be measured via several ways :-·
|A||Achievable||It is achievable because of Malaysians’ upgraded lifestyles and the increasing population of the urban professional females.|
|R||Relevant||The market targeting and the attempts to reach this market are relevant, given the fact that more females are working in the urban areas and leading stylish, dynamic and fast-paced life.|
|T||Time-bound||We are targeting the first 6 months to introduce the new product to Malaysian market;
After first 6 months, we will conduct brief research to fathom feedback from customers. The subsequent promotional tools will be engineer based on the research.
Hence, the expected timeline will be one year.
As for the Positioning of the product and the brand, we segregated into 4 elements, which are :-
- Vibrant, flamboyant colours which suits all personalities of urban female professionals : the feminine colours for the demure types (magenta, fuchsia, pink) & the stoic colours for the firm types (silver, black, gold);
- Hand-friendly packaging – easy to hold and compatible into handbags;
- Fresh odour (serves as hair perfume as well) – not too strong; very aroma-therapy-like smell to give the customers the tranquility feeling;
- Taglines – we have two taglines catered for the two fractions of women : “Spritz ‘N’ Go” is for the demure type & “My Quick Fix” is for the stoic or firm type.
Two different packaging for two types of urban female professional, our target audience – the brown one for the stoic or firm type whereas the magenta or fuchsia with white is for the demure type. Kudos to Farah for the wonderful design!
There are so many things to write but I can’t skip the justification of using TV3 as our main TV media for the advertisement. TV3 is used as it is the main generic channel being watched by most Malaysians and that will cater to our target audience. We also chose the interval timings which are coupled with the Malay dramas or soap operas as women tend to watch these programmes; therefore it is likely that we can gauge our target audience (As for the “Panggung Sabtu” airing Hindi movies, is absolutely a brilliant pick as women love it!) :–
0700H to 0930H (Monday ~ Saturday); 0700H to 0900H (Sunday)
|Malaysia Hari Ini (MHI)|
|Afternoon:-1200H to 1300H (Monday to Friday)||Wanita Hari Ini (WHI)|
Evening and Night:-
1900H to 2000H, 2100H to 23000H (Monday to Sunday)
Malay dramas and Indonesian dramas slots:
|Saturday Evening:-1400H to 1700H||
Hindi movie slot:
Our proposed advertisements.
Our proposed coupons with serial number!
Apart from that (since financial is not an issue! Hahahah! This is just a theoretical assignment, after all!); we also decided to measure the marketability of “Cleanse” by :
- issuing coupons with serial numbers to be inserted in women magazines such as CLEO, Hijabista, Women’s Weekly, etc;
- giving free keychains or handbag hooks for every purchases of Cleanse;
- questionnaire to be filled by customers who purchase Cleanse (to measure the effectiveness of our billboards, printed and TV commercial advertisements).
Our proposed billboard. Money is not an issue in theoretical class! Haha!
We also plan to put digital buntings circa KL Golden Triangle (Jalan Raja Chulan, Jalan Sultan Ismail) of where these urban female professionals are most likely to work and trapped in traffic jams.
The Positioning of Cleanse in comparison to other existing dry shampoo in the market. Honestly, I have no idea about dry shampoo and the brands, prior to this assignment. Now, I am picking up new knowledge. Kudos to Lynn for the wonderful analysis!
When Dr. Azura had nothing but good words for our presentation, we literally went agog. Why ? We went through a lot of dramas and bickering but finally made it. We lack time and communication glitches (WhatsApp and e-mails are our main bridge to communicate) and all of us are working part-timers; so the burden of our workload sometimes influence our commitments to the project as well. And not to mention that, one of our group mates decided to bail out from Avant Garde Inc. team; 3 days before the final submission (Friday, 22nd May 2015) and so happened that person is the expert in all these marketing campaigns! You could imagine how vulnerable we were to pick up the pieces – amidst our hectic schedules!!!
We even had our little demonstration of “Cleanse”. Haha! Sha is putting the shampoo on Suzy’s scalp; our China coursemate. Thanks Suzy for volunteering your scalp and hair! Haha!
That is why after class, we went for a little celebration at Bismillah, a famous “Mamak Restaurant” near UPM and had light talk about our journey. Then, the real revelation of the dramas was unveiled. It was sad and quite tragic as well. All of us were practically humbled and stung by the reality of the dramas and we have nothing but much respect to the person involved in the turmoil (the integrity and firmness of professionalism). It was an endearing heart-to-heart session and it also taught me great lesson :-
“Sometimes, we never knew what others are going through in their lives. They can put a stern and stoic composure of facade out there but on the inside and beyond the curtain, there are storms brewing with messy pressures and problems. There are always two sides of stories, untold. Unearth the reality. God is Great.”
One for the album and memory. Thanks guys! Farah, me, Sha & Lynn.
All I can say; well done Avant Garde Inc.!!!! Shasha (Sha), Farah Nijida (Farah) and Liyana Hamdan (Lynn) – “we made it!!!!!!!!!!!”
Our advertising agency’s logo. Hahhaa, smart isn’t it ? Well done, Farah!