The 1st stage of what we, the 3rd semester students of Master of Corporate Communication in UPM, Serdang has been dreading is finally over! We managed to present our Research Paper proposal! As intense and hectic the semester could be; and not to mention for those who are doing it part-time (juggling with endless workloads), what we dread throughout this whole semester has finally gone, for now!
My title : “Malaysian Moslems’ Perception Towards Cadbury’s Image Repair & Its Halal Image”. This was coined due to my passion in Islamic Studies (my minor in USM apart from my Microbiology degree) with Corporate Communication. Check what I felt in November 2014 on this at https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2014/11/23/a-thought-fr-masters-degree-mini-project-islamic-communications-an-uncharted-waters/)
For those who are doing the Research Paper or Mini Project (as our programme is more of course-oriented, rather than centralizes solely on producing theses), we are segregated into 3 groups for presentation and I was slated on Wednesday, 10th June 2015. My group consisted of Aisyah (J.T.), Bad, Lynn and I. The panels are Prof. Salleh, Dr. Moniza and Dr. Akmar as Dr. Nizam couldn’t make it as we heard that his mother-in-law is sick.
My slides on Problem Statement.
Initially, Bad was supposed to be the second person to present after J.T. but she arrived a bit later and need space to gasp some air; so I took the turn and she helped to navigate my slideshows (thanks babe!). With merely 15 minutes for us to present the brief cases of our Chapter 1-3, I gave the insight on my research paper or project proposal that I have been working on throughout this hectic semester under the surveillance of my faculty’s Dean, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Muati entitled “Malaysian Moslems’ Perception Towards Cadbury’s Image Repair & Its Halal Image.”
My 3 Research Questions! Will discuss with my Dean or supervisor, Dr. Muati on the light of the panels’ suggestions.
Initially, I intended to pursue the course of the research from the point of view of correlation perspective where I would like to see the relationship between Cadbury’s Image Repair & its Halal image with Malaysian Moslems’ perception. Nevertheless after I submitted my Chapter 2 (Literature Reviews), Dr. Muati found that the nature of my proposal is inclined towards exploratory research which is to study about a problem into an in-depth dimension and he didn’t see any correlation there. Thus, Dr. Muati said since it is exploratory, there shouldn’t be any variables (Independent Variables or Dependent Variables) and certainly no theoretical framework. I was a bit flabbergasted as I remembered he taught us that if one is doing quantitative, there must be variables involved in the research. Dr. Muati said due the exploratory nature, it is still at preliminary stage so definitely no variables. OK, so I succumb to that.
Aisyah or J.T. took the rostrum first.
I took the second turn over Bad who helped me to navigate the slides. And managed to snap a picture while I was presenting. Haha! Thanks, babe!
Dr. Muati told that me that for this first stage, I shouldn’t be defensive and tried to be open-minded to whatever suggestions that the panels may have in order to improve aspects that we both might overlooked. But, when the second presentation by the end of this year when I already obtain the data and the findings and analyze them, I can be defensive if I disagree with what the panels are throwing at me as I am the one who is doing the research. So, I succumbed to his advice.
Bad, the third one. I tried to discreetly take the picture without the panels noticing in front; while navigating her slides at the computer.
Lynn, the last one taking the spotlight to be burned!
Nevertheless during the Q&A session, I was asked :-
- Why there are no variables in my research? I insisted on saying that it is due to the nature of my research as exploratory as per my discussion with the Dean but the panels somehow insisted that there are variables in the research and I have to emit them out and construct theoretical framework ;
- I emphasized that the theory I am using is “Image Restoration Theory” by Benoit. Therefore, I have to determine which one of the 5 strategies are used by Cadbury Malaysia in their attempt to restore the Halal image AND I have to incorporate that into my questionnaire. I answered that I already stated in my slide that Mortification & Corrective Action( bolstering) are deemed to be effective strategy when used together. But I didn’t highlight WHICH STRATEGIES that Cadbury Malaysia has been adapting; so I have to insert that in my Literature Review as well. ;
- I was also proposed of using Content Analysis method to determine which of the 5 strategies used by Cadbury Malaysia in its restoration of Halal image attempt. I was a bit confused as my research is quantitative in nature and yet, Content Analysis is very much qualitative. When I asked whether I should incorporate both or only use qualitative, I was not given the exact answer. Nevermind, I will discuss this with Dr. Muati;
- I am opting to use the Probability Sampling Technique as that can ensure every unit in population has equal chance on being selected but the panels proposed me to use Stratified Sampling as my respondents are going to be consisted of different ages (10 years old- 60 years old) and by using that, I can do justice to the percentages partition between the homogenous age groups (kids, teenagers, adults). I will discuss this with Dr. Muati;
- Apparently, all my 3 Research Questions are descriptive (with nominal and ordinal types of data). At the Master’s level, we are expected to emit inferential in nature so that there are some scholarly-values that the researcher is able to interpret the data. I will discuss this with Dr. Muati;
- My Research Question MUST NOT CONTAIN THE WORD “AND” as it symbolizes two intentions. Must only focus ONE and that is without “AND”.
Najmi a.k.a. Abami in the morning session, presenting his case. Helped by the sleepy-looking Didi. Hahaha!
Ereen also presented in the morning!
Those were basically the gist of my Q&A. I am jotting this here so that I can do as my upcoming references when I have discussion with Dr. Muati. Basically all the four of us went through the same process of being ‘grilled’ (in fact all of us irregardless the morning or evening sessions; so far!). But all in the nature of academic discussion; unlike some previous stories we heard in previous semesters. We actually have no qualm on taking what the lecturers are commenting and giving guidance as they are after all, certified educators in Corporate Communication. NEVERTHELESS, we were quite berserk and went irked when one Research Assistant who is not a lecturer; sharing his opinions gallantly and asking questions nonchalantly to us as if he was one of the panels! And some of the questions are quite done on purposely provocative-manner which can be taken as an insult to the intelligence!
Taken by Lynn. Thanks! Hahhaa! I know my coursemates must be like “whatever” when I asked them to take pictures of me for my blog’s documentation. Hahhaa! Thanks you guys! Kikiki!
I am not going to be hypocrite by going to be nodding that my friends and I were not affected by that. Yes, we understood the demand of being open-minded towards critics and absorb the comments to improve our researches BUT another sides of us were annoyed and appalled when an unqualified person suddenly bashed the outcome of our projects of which we have been intimately concocting throughout the PAST 12 WEEKS!!! Sounds harsh but the exact instinct would scream :
“Who the hell you think you are to cross-examine us? You are not even a certified educator! We ain’t wanting to hear what you’re saying. Nay. Na-ah!”
That is the honest jot-down. But personally, I think there are ounces of truth in what he said and I could use that to improve my research. But I am not going to lie – my friends and I were EXTREMELY IRKED by that. There is a Malay maxim saying – “Lebih sudu dari kuah” (The spoon is bigger than the soup) which means someone who is of no position to talk, is bragging and boastful, worse than the one who is given the authority.
Focused and uploaded via Instagram at https://instagram.com/shahrillramli/.
But all in all, Alhamdulillah! It was a fruitful session for me and I embrace all the comments inclusive the ones made by Research Assistant, wholeheartedly. Looking forward to rectify my Questionnaire and start doing the Pilot Test! Yeeay!