So, this is it! Kathleen Mujan Nandong, or affectionately known as Kat is now officially Mrs Francis Kanyan! Wow, surreal! But I am honestly happy for her. She is a good girl and she deserves such happiness. Our friendship rooted back in 2004 during my USM years and since then, she has become my sister-figure bestfriend. But these last 2 years, we have both been so busy with our lives that we seldom hanged out like we used to do; nevertheless seeing her walking the aisle towards her husband; make me quite overwhelmed and almost in tears.
Mr and Mrs Francis Kanyan.
We have gone through so many things together. I met her in 2004 due to the circle of friends we were hanging out. I felt connected to her although initially, I thought she was quite intimidating as an athlete and stoic persona (Hahaha!). But she proved to be such a warm lady and really genuinely treasure friendship which I myself do as well. I guess that kind of similarity somehow bond us despite our differences in races and religions.
The bride is walking on the aisle. I was wondering what Kat was thinking at that moment. I was waving at her frantically but I guess she didn’t see me as Efy and I were located at the most corner part of the church berth. Hehehe!
What really bonded us also was the passion to music (We coined ourselves as the Doncha Club! Everytime we hanged out, somehow the Pussy Cat Dolls’ song emerged somewhere)! We loved karaokes and cybercafes! Haha! We did late-suppers and night-walking; we watched movies; we hiked, we jogged (highly influenced by Kat!), etc. This was funny and quite embarrassing but the three of us – Kat, Efy and I actually WENT to Malaysian Idol audition in PISA, Penang!!! Oh, my God!! What were we thinking, right???? Hahhaaha!
Seeing her so happy make me happy as well. Finally; she now find her true solace. The one who accept her flaws and all. I know it sounds far-fetched but for someone who has been one of her confidantes; I have to say, I am happy that this good-girl-at-heart finally have the happiness she deserves.
I am NOT GOING TO decipher much about THAT (ooops!) but what I can tell was that we had so much laughter reminiscing about it. The night before the audition; we crept into hockey field or USM stadium (I couldn’t remember) and we sang our hearts out in the middle of the field to so-called getting our vocal chords ‘familiarized with high tone projection’ for the next day! Hahaha! We were singing – experimenting our voices from baritone to falsetto …and SUDDENLY we saw Pak Guard’s torchlight scouting for the singing voices in the midst of pitch black! Hhahaha! Damn! We SCAMPERED and flee the area AT ONCE! Hahahaha! We were also kinda anxious whether our faces would be featured in Malaysian Idol’s bloopers – I mean SHIT; WE DON’T WANNA BE FEATURED ON A NATIONAL TV PROGRAMME RECEIVING HUMILIATING COMMENTS! Hhaahha!
With the bride!
Wefie with Efy and Dyana, Kat’s BFF and bridesmaid. She is a bubbly and fun persona and although we just met; I felt connected to her right away! It’s ashamed that we couldn’t hangout that much because I was such in a hurry. Hehehe!
I also remembered that Kat and Efy (Power of Three tag team! Haha!) came to the rescue when I somehow felt I was duped by the saleswoman in KOMTAR on regards of my camera. I did write in my blog but I AIN’T GOING TO LINK IT HERE! Hahaha! Somehow I am quite embarrassed with the way I wrote my mind expression during my USM days. Too much of dramatic and “girly” blues during that era. LOL! You guys can scout for yourself under the archive section.
It was quite a lengthy procession. So what we did? Besides endless chit-chatting (Hahahah!), we Selfie! lol! Efy and I.
I first came to KL with Kat in 2006. Being the youngest, my parents were (and are) protective. When Kakak got married and resided in Bangi, I decided to join Kat as she was also planning to go to KL. Going to KL with a friend was not such a horrifying thing than going there alone. So, we both pushed off to KL from Sungai Nibong express buses station and arrived around 4-5 hours later in Pudu Raya. We separated our ways and spent weekend with family and met up on Sunday to go back to Penang. For reminiscence, REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2006/10/04/broading-the-horizon-road-trip/ (although, please be prepare to THROW UP! What was I thinking? I myself now can’t stand the way I wrote then! Hahaha! But, we grow up, right?).
USM years. I know, what was I thinking right? I thought it was cool that time! Bummer! Hahahahha!
USM days. On Kat’s 25th birthday. We were so skinny right? Oh, well…now we enjoy our lives! Hahah!
USM days at the now-defunct Selera Murni. Hehehe…… Our regular lunch and dinner spots.
If I am not mistaken, this was either in KOMTAR, Prangin Mall or Bukit Jambul in Penang during our usual hanging outs.
I can’t possibly recap all the adventures I had with Kat or along with Efy as Doncha Club! There were so many memorable things that happened. One for sure was our usual night-outings at PELITA Sungai Dua. The USM entrance at Sungai Dua would be closed at midnight due to curfew but we usually hanged out until 2 a.m. During good moods, we would do night walking and walked all the way to Bukit Gambir’s entrance but sometimes we did get mischievous. We climbed the fence at Sungai Dua when we thought it was clear from the guards’ surveillance. But once or twice; we did hear the guards yelled at us; so we scampered, once again! Hahahahaha!
Karaokeing in 2011 at SOGO.
Baskin Robbins ritual at Kat’s crib.
At Kat’s crib in 2011 for her Christmas carol.
We also used to have our Baskin Robbins ritual on every 31st of the months because Baskin Robbins offered discount. So, Kat, Efy and I always try to make sure our appointments free on every 31st! I am not sure whether Kat realized or not; I do write a lot about her (Hahhaa; I don’t know whether it is fortunate or unfortunate but people who come across in my life and bonded with me tend to end up in my blog! Haha!). Apart from our Doncha Club heydays, Kat also served as my sister figure. I became her confidante and she also served as mine – from our student years until we finally now become the working adults. Life was sure a rollercoaster ride but looking back, I feel great to have her as my sister.
In 2008 during 14th ASEAN University Games.
In 2010 during EKIDEN Run @ Putrajaya.
In 2010 during JACOB’s “Walk Of Life” @ FRIM.
I have written some entries on Doncha Club and our little (mis) adventures :-
- Retaliation against Stinking Mouth People/Backstabbers (2006) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2006/07/13/the-day-the-doncha-club-retaliates/;
- Tribute To Doncha Club (2007) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2007/06/14/tribute-to-the-doncha-club-power-of-three/;
- Doncha Club @ Kat’s Christmas Carol (2011) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/mutual-respect-upon-racial-cultural-religion-sentiments-testimonial-of-honest-friendships-doncha-club-after-5-years-reunion/;
- Doncha Club Karaokeing @ SOGO (2013) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2013/11/09/suffocating-season-part-1-vocal-chord-of-emcees-doncha-club-sweet-escape-red-box-sogo/;
- Doncha Club at Penang Bridge Marathon (2013) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/doncha-club-tropical-island-the-penang-bridge-international-marathon-10-km-fun-run/.
In 2011 at Nawal’s Arabian Birthday Party @ Malaysian National Zoo.
In 2012 at NESTLE Walking World Day @ Putrajaya.
Apart from that, I also wrote my activities with Kat from 2006 until recent years (such an avid blogger, aite? I know! Hahaha!) :-
- Kat’s 25th birthday (2006) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2006/02/15/kats-btrthday-bash/;
- 14th ASEAN University Games (2008) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2008/12/13/the-14th-asean-university-games-stadium-bukit-jalil/;
- Breaking Fast at The Gardens (2008) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2008/09/13/my-mind-disturbia/;
- “So You Think You Can Dance?” (2008) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2008/06/15/so-you-think-you-can-dance-showcase-midvalley-with-kathleen/;
- Jacob’s “Walk of Life” @ FRIM (2010) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2010/07/25/2407/;
- Nawal’s Arabian Birthday Bash @ Malaysian National Zoo (2011) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/personal-professional-red-letters-part-i-nawals-1001-arabian-nights-birthday-bash-malaysian-national-zoo/;
- Nawal’s Wedding @ Kampung Tunku (2012) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2012/10/07/the-malaysian-wedding-reception-celebrating-nawals-valentine-kampung-tunku-petaling-jaya/;
- Nadia Akwal’s Wedding @ JW Mariott, Bukit Bintang (2012) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/the-new-year-2012-resolutions-nadia-akwals-bollywood-wedding-glitz-jw-marriot-bukit-bintang-kuala-lumpur/;
Kat accompanied me to Nadia’s wedding at JW Marriot, Bukit Bintang in 2012.
and many more!!! There are also a few entries I wrote that perhaps Kat did not have any inkling that those were written about her. Now, I am sharing these :-
- Kat’s struggle as to commit her filial piety role as well as being the first among the siblings (2009) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/inspirasi-walau-kita-berkasih-sahabat-tali-tasbih/;
- Kat’s turbulent episodes with Triangle-Love-of-You-Know-Who-I-Shall-Not-Say-Anything when she first found out (2011) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/prayers-as-a-loyal-friend-exodus-through-the-rain-california-king-bed/.
Those days; when we were young and skinny. Oh, well….we both savoured life. LOL! In 2010. Thanks chica for encouraging me to participate in these kinda events albeit for Fun Run. (,”) At Hooha 10!10!10! at Bukit Bintang.
She also my biggest influence in participating into a healthier lifestyle. Through her, I had chances of joining several athletic events :-
- Hooha Fun Run 10!10!10! @ Bukit Bintang (2010) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2010/10/11/full-social-calendar-planner-part-v-hoohaa-fun-run-10-10-10-bukit-bintang-passing-60000-views/;
- Ekiden Run @ Youth Day (2010) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2010/05/16/virgin-sporty-experience-putrajaya-ekiden-run-youth-day-2010/;
- The Purple Walk @ Putrajaya (2013) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2013/03/18/baby-step-for-a-healthy-life-regime-brisk-walking-the-purple-walk-putrajaya-2013/;
- Jom Ceria Walk @ Putrajaya (2013) : REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/shine-your-way-owl-city-feat-yuna-jom-ceria-walk-putrajaya-2013-with-the-croods-olympus-has-fallen-premieres/
Kat isn’t just a friend. She is my sister. That is why I feel sentimental and instrumental about this entry and about her getting married. When Kakak got married I was emotional; and I have to say when Kat told me via Facebook that she was going to get married around February (if I am not mistaken); I became emotional – happy yet overwhelmed – you know what I mean; like someone you knew for a long time, who has been through several relationships and finally meeting someone and finding her own happiness? I just feel so elated and happy for her but at the same time felt like I was losing a sister (dramatic, aite?! LOL!).
In 2013; hanging out at Penang’s Paragon Mall (I think). Somewhere in Gurney Drive.
Kat is someone who always cherish her friends. I noticed that she went all over Malaysia for her friends’ weddings. To be frank, I am not in the most affordable situation to travel as my car has gone kaput (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2015/09/27/the-car-coolant-the-gasket-my-car-breakdown-incident-km-250-7-plus-north-south-expressway/) but thinking about her kindness and her significance in my life AND that the wedding is an important event of her life, I decided to attend, with Ayah as my chauffeur who does not know KL’s roads and 100% depending on my instructions (so you can expect Ayah’s razor-mouth snaps and hisses!). And due to some commotion held in Merdeka Square of where St. Mary’s Cathedral was located; the entrance was denied and I have to walk 2 kilometers away from the parking because I can’t left Ayah manouvering the car without proper parking lot in case if there were to be any DBKL patrol officers shooing our car away (without me in presence)!
Our Penang Bridge Marathon; two days before my family and I flew to Sydney in 2013. Memorable event with Doncha Club! Love them….how I wish we could do this again…huhuhu.
For me, it was a nice experience to witness a wedding in a church. And so happened that Efy also was there; flew all the way from Kota Kinabalu! At last, our dream to be in Kat’s wedding crystallize – Doncha Club ala Charmed (“Power of Three Will Set Us Free! lol!) were in a complete trio set!
Congratulation Kat! So happy that you are happy!
To my beautiful sister figure bestfriend, Kat; I wish you and Francis a great and blessed life ahead. I am honestly happy for you, chica. A good heart like you deserves such happiness. Like I said once, God hears your prayers. I will always be there for you; like Rihanna’s song “Umbrella” :-
When the sun shines, we’ll shine together
Told you I’d be here forever
Said I’ll always be a friend
Took an oath I’ma stick it out ’til the end
Now that it’s raining more than ever
Know that we’ll still have each other
You can stand under my umbrella
You can stand under my umbrella…..
The beautiful dress at St. Mary’s Cathedral in Kuala Lumpur. Happy newly-weds, chica!