2016 is about to draw its curtain down. I’ve mentioned that 2016 was expected to be A Year of Paradigm Shift early this year (REFER to entry dated 1st January 2016 at https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2016/01/01/happy-new-year-2016-the-year-of-paradigm-shifts-a-butterfly-out-from-chrysalis/); and certainly it has been.
Au revoir, 2016!
Some of the unforgettable moments which certainly cemented new paradigms for me were :-
- To officially getting my Master’s Degree (REFER to entry dated 24th October 2016 at https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2016/10/24/my-masters-degree-convocation-upm-shahrill-ramli-a-master-of-corporate-communication-degree-holder/);
- To officially register myself as a Ph.D candidate (REFER to entry dated 7th September 2016 at https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2016/09/07/doctor-of-philosophy-phd-inn-human-communication-epissode-1-the-helter-skelter-babysteps-registration-urine-tests-payment-black-swans/).
Sweet memories. I am now a legit Master’s Degree holder in Corporate Communication. A long journey from a Microbiology Degree holder but with utmost passion in social science!
The year 2016 is a year of paradigm shift for my cognition as I am embarking a new chapter in my life which is in pursuit of Doctoral Degree in Human Communication. I am defying the odds; although my dream to further Ph.D abroad was put on halt due to the current abysmal Malaysia and world economics, I chose local university as the substitute. My main mission is to get a doctorate by 2020, no? So, you make a lemonade from a lemon! Insya ALLAH.
The Ph.D offer letter.
On top of that, this year I have also had new experience which was to do a backpacking Europe tour with Kakak in conjunction to her convocation at University of Leeds. From 9th July-19th July, we went to 6 European countries :-
- Amsterdam, Netherlands (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2016/07/10/the-ramli-siblings-conquering-eeuurope-amsterdam-netherlands-dutchland-the-land-of-new-adventures-new-faces/);
- Brussels, Belgium (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2016/07/11/the-rramli-sibblings-conquering-eurrurope-part-2-brussels-belgium-the-land-of-frenchification-military-protection-a-cauldron-of-diversity-minority/);
- Leeds, United Kingdom (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2016/07/14/the-ramli-siblings-connnnqquuering-europe-part-3-leeds-united-kingdom/);
- Paris, France & Interlaken, Switzerland (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2016/07/15/the-ramli-siblings-conquering-europe-part-4-part-5-paris-france-interlaken-switzerland-the-epitome-of-joie-de-vivre-romanticism-holy-grail-of-mother-earth/);
- Milan, Pisa, Rome & Venice; Italy (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2016/07/23/the-ramli-siblings-conquering-europe-part-6-milan-rome-venice-italy-the-bricks-bouquets-of-the-birthplace-of-european-renaissance/).
Amsterdam, Netherlands @ Zaanse Schans.
Brussels, Belgium @ Grand Palace / Grote Markt.
Leeds, United Kingdom @ University of Leeds.
Paris, France @ Eifel Tower.
Interlaken, Switzerland @ Harder Kulm.
Milan, Italy @ San Siro Stadium.
Pisa, Italy @ The Leaning Tower.
Rome, Italy @ The Colosseum.
Vatican City @ St. Peter’s Basilica.
The backpacking experiences were priceless and also very precious as both of us, The Ramli Siblings travelled together fulfilling our childhood wanderlust dreams rooted from our humble two-rooms-50s-styled FRU flat in Penang! It was amazing that we finally crystallized what we had always been dreaming of and also to witness iconic buildings and God’s beautiful creations with our own eyes. Alhamdulillah. I don’t regret of taking the “Cuti Tanpa Gaji” (Unpaid Leaves) for this backpacking trip. Although I faced one-month salary reduction which was on October 2016 as well as that my seniority movement will be put on halt for a year – it was all worthy!!! I also had the opportunity to see the effect of global refugee crises in Europe (which happened to be the exigence of my Ph.D thesis!) as well as the ethnic mobilization throughout the world due to economical factor (Indians, Nepalese, Sri Lankan thronging Rome and Venice selling souvenirs!).
The Settlement Hotel, Melaka.
Apart from that, 2016 also marks my solo trips to :-
- My first solo trip (due to my depression) – Malacca; REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2016/04/03/battling-mental-depression-with-self-serenity-notes-of-my-travel-the-settlement-hotel-melaka/;
- Sabah solo trip – REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2016/12/20/mmy-spontttaneous-virgin-borneo-adventure-sabah-the-land-of-beautiful-nature-beautiful-people/;
- Lumut & Penang Hill solo trip – REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2016/12/25/mysstified-byy-nnorthhernn-ppeninsular-wwanderlust-bellevue-hotel-penang-hill-from-the-ocean-of-lumut-to-zenith-of-penang-hill-to-delicious-laksa-of-alor-star/.
Mount Kinabalu, Sabah.
Bellevue Hotel, Penang Hill.
Early this year, I experienced a depression. I had no sense of “joie de vivre” to enjoy life. It was actually due to the break-up. I was left alone for 6 months. It was challenging for me because it has been a while since I was single and prior to that, I was always accompanied by my confidante. Although around June we rekindle but I’ve learned a lot from that hiatus. I know that now it is OK to be single and I have more confidence to manouvre my life as a single person. It doesn’t matter anymore now IF this time, the relationship doesn’t work; I can live my life peacefully. I’ve learned that I am no more dependent to my “other half”. I don’t tolerate shits, no more. Empowered y’all!
I also managed to read more than 5 books this year (which has been my yearly resolutions!) and I am proud of that (you guys can check the review under this category in my blog : https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/category/novelsbook/) :-
- “Notes From My Travel” by Angelina Jolie (my depression-therapy!);
- “Harry Potter & The Cursed Child” by J.K. Rowling;
- “Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them” by J.K. Rowling;
- “The Tales Of Beedle The Bard” by J.K. Rowling
- “Billy And The Cloud Fife” by Winston Lim (My Penang Free School senior!);
- “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho;
- “I Am Malala” by Malala Yousafzai;
- “The Scarlet Letter” by Nathaniel Hawthorne;
- “Tenggelamnya Kapal van Der Wijck” & “Di Bawah Lindungan Kaabah” by HAMKA
Some of these books are celebrated fictions and some of them are those highly-regarded within the literature community (such as the ones written by HAMKA and Hawthorne). I am glad I had that experience of reading them.
By Angelina Jolie (Angie). We, Gemini and we resonate the same principle wavelength and fetishes.
On whole, Alhamdulillah. 2016 has taught me a lot. 2016 has given me a lot of experiences. 2016 is indeed a year of paradigm shifts, for me – Shahrill Ramli. God bless.