So this is it. The last day of 2017; the year of Metamorphosis for me. I’ve experienced varicoloured episodes in life that are sure to make me wiser. I guess my premonition a year ago that 2017 would be the year of Metamorphosis was definitely true. Experiences throughout this year has enriched my mind and heart. Definitely, a #TrueStory. So, based on my 2017 New Year Resolution etched in the entry https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/ahlan-wasahlan-2017-a-year-of-metamorphosis-living-the-life-of-lime-lemon-lemonade/ ,these were my 2017 resolutions :-
My Ph.D Proposal Defence on 15th December 2017.
- To solidify the progress of my Ph.D thesis – entering the 2nd and 3rd stages mean that I have to really converge all the attention into that! ;
- To visit at least a place enlisted in my #Wishlist – I have one abroad destination which I really wanna go so bad (hopefully will materialize!) and other countless local destinations (I will try my ass off – FULL THROTTLE! – materializing these!) ;
- To read more than 5 celebrated books – the popular books or the “highly-renowned among the literature community members”.
- To join at least 3 running or health activities – to stay slim and young!
Alhamdulillah, I’ve achieved the first resolution – I’ve gone through the dreading PhD Proposal Defence on 15th December 2017. It was a smooth-flowing one albeit I’ve encountered challenges prior to the session. Alhamdulillah that everything went without major glitches. Details on the Proposal Defence is in https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2017/12/16/my-ph-d-proposal-defense-an-unarmed-academic-duelling-battlefield-the-self-discovery-of-my-own-strength-the-power-of-mothers-doa/.
In front of Dome of The Rock; at the Dead Sea and a photo at chai stall run by a Palestinian at the compound of Masjidil Aqsa.
Secondly on visiting a place in my #Wishlist; Yes, Alhamdulillah! I’ve also achieved that! The jewel of my 2017 experiences would definitely be the once-in-a-lifetime journey to Palestine, where I had the opportunity see Masjidil Aqsa and Dome of The Rock with my own eyes. I also travelled to Port Jaffa-Tel Aviv and had opportunity to be in the world’s saltiest place, The Dead Sea and also went for a canoe-sailing at Sea of Galilee. More of the experiences at my blog https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2017/04/18/hymn-for-the-soul-the-land-of-the-prophets-my-spiritual-journey-at-the-promised-land-palestine-israel-al-ar%E1%B8%8D-al-muqaddasah-eretz-hakodesh/. It is one of #WishLists that I’ve fulfilled and I am very happy for that.
Vietnam’s Halal foods were amazing!
In addition, my family and I also visited Vietnam and it was my first ASEAN country. I have to say my perception on ASEAN countries changed overnight! Really loved the food and culture but hated the congested traffic! Haha!
The two books I read throughout 2017.
Thirdly, to read more than 5 celebrated books. Alhamdulillah, achieved! According to my Goodreads profile, I’ve finished reading 12 books this year and for some books, I’ve written the reviews in my blog :-
- Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief;
- Percy Jackson & The Sea of Monsters;
- Percy Jackson & The Battle of Labyrinth;
- Percy Jackson & The Titan’s Curse;
- Percy Jackson & The Last Olympian;
- A Map of Trengganu;
- Jerusalem : The Biography;
- Tombiruo : Penunggu Rimba
- To Kill A Mockingbird (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2017/07/20/a-satire-towards-the-american-egalitarian-spirit-defying-the-apartheid-sexism-societal-segregation-to-kill-a-mockingbird-by-harper-lee/);
- The Black Pearl of Peihoo (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2017/08/22/the-occidental-writing-ooon-the-colonial-pages-an-oriental-response-of-white-supremacy-1914-the-black-pearl-of-peihoo-a-tale-of-the-malay-seas-by-stanley-portal-hyatt/);
- Ayat-Ayat Cinta (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2017/09/12/a-musslimahss-romance-fantasy-or-a-contemporary-conduit-of-dakwah-the-verses-of-love-ayat-ayat-cinta-by-habiburahman-el-hirazy/);
- Perempuan Berkalung Sorban (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2017/11/13/the-voice-of-feminism-in-islam-a-muslimahs-bold-discussion-on-gender-equality-reproduction-rights-socioreligious-positions-perempuan-berkalung-sorban-a-woman-with-the-kefiyyeh-turba/)
I am a geek. Star Wars fan!
And the last one is to join at least 3 running activities. Although I now starting to lead healthy lifestyle (drinking plain water and been running weekly at Titiwangsa Lake), I only joined two running activities, hence I did not achieve my KPI this year. Still, I should give a pat on my back by joining :-
- The Star Wars Run at Singapore (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2017/05/07/thee-galaxy-of-geekddom-garden-by-the-bay-singapore-the-star-wars-run-2017-the-prior-prejudice-of-bangsa-johor-an-amateur-social-science-observation/); and
- The Sea Games 2017 Fun Run at Putrajaya.
I also experienced melancholy side this year. An acquaintance I’ve met via social media passed away due to tongue cancer. I’ve been giving him moral support and even visited him last year October at UKM Oncology Department. I have been messaging him all the times it was like I literally went through his agony of the suffocating ozone treatment, multiple surgeries and all. I even prayed for him at Masjidil Aqsa. God bless. You will be missed Faizul Anuar Fadzil (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2017/04/04/inalillah-an-ode-to-a-cancer-fighter-life-is-ephemeral-memory-is-eternal/).
This year is definitely a year where I’ve become more independent and bolder. I am no more a clingy partner and I’ve ventured into the darker sides. 7 times. Have y’all heard Rihanna’s “S & M” lyrics? It feels good being bad, there’s no way I am turning back. It keeps away the clingy personality and awaken my unapologetic adventurous alter ego, experiencing many skills, sizes and sensation. #TrueStory.
7 Times. #TrueStory.
In terms of school, I had the experience becoming the PIBG Treasurer and it taught me to be outspoken at the school. I guess some of my colleagues may see me now being a big-headed just because I am now pursuing Ph.D which is not the case. It’s because of being a Treasurer that I’ve becoming what I am now. I am done being a People’s Pleaser when people are trying to take opportunities against me. I’ve make promise to myself that I will be transparent and truth when it comes to my professional affiliations at the school’s meetings so that I won’t be persecuted anymore (REFER to https://undomiel84.wordpress.com/2017/10/04/from-a-public-pleaser-to-an-unapologetic-treasurer-the-metamorphosis-of-the-schools-darling-the-sk-serendah-charity-carnival-2017/).
On whole, I just hope that 2018 will be a new leaf for me. God bless.
Find the lyrics. It’s #TrueStory.